LST-283 was laid down on 2 August 1943 at Ambridge, Pa., by the American Bridge Co.; launched on 10 October 1943; sponsored by Mrs. C. W. McNamee; and commissioned on 18 November 1943.
During World War II, LST-283 was assigned to the European theater and participated in the invasion of Normandy in June 1944 and the invasion of southern France in August and September 1944. She performed occupation duty in the Far East between September and November 1945.
Upon her return to the United States, the ship was decommissioned on 13 June 1946 and struck from the Navy list on 22 January 1947. On 25 March 1947, she was sold to Northrup H. Castle, of Honolulu, Hawaii, for conversion to merchant service. She was purchased by Peru on 21 December 1951 for service in the Peruvian Navy as Chimbote (LST-34).
LST-283 earned two battle stars for World War II service.