Return to DANFS IndexImage of an anchorReturn to Naval Historical Center homepage
flag banner
Dictionary of American Naval Fighting Ships banner
DEPARTMENT OF THE NAVY -- NAVAL HISTORICAL CENTER
805 KIDDER BREESE SE -- WASHINGTON NAVY YARD
WASHINGTON DC 20374-5060

LST-279

 

LST-279 was laid down on 2 July 1943 at Ambridge, Pa., by the American Bridge Co.; launched on 19 September 1943; sponsored by Miss Marion Ruth Warsack; and commissioned on 25 October 1943, Lt. Charles A. Palm, USNR, in command.

 

During World War II, LST-279 was assigned to the European theater and participated in the invasion of Normandy in June 1944. She returned to the United States and was decommissioned on 14 June 1955. On 1 July 1955, she was named Berkeley County (LST-279) after counties in South Carolina and West Virginia. The tank landing ship was transferred to Nationalist China on 30 June 1955 as Chung Chie (LST-218) and struck from the Navy list on 25 April 1960.

 

LST-279 earned one battle star for World War II service.