LST-278 was laid down on 16 June 1943 at Ambridge, Pa., by the American Bridge Co.; launched on 12 September 1943; sponsored by Mrs. R. F. Dickinson; and commissioned on 22 October 1943.
During World War II, LST-278 was assigned to the Asiatic-Pacific theater and participated in the following operations:
(a) Capture and occupation of Saipan—June and July 1944
(b) Tinian capture and occupation—July 1944
Capture and occupation of southern Palau Islands—September and October 1944
LST-278 was decommissioned on 22 January 1945 and redesignated Seaward (IX-209) (q.v.) and recom-missioned on 14 February 1945. She served as a barracks and post office at Ulithi until declared in excess of the Navy's needs and destroyed on 16 October 1946. She was struck from the Navy list on 22 May 1947.
LST-278 earned three battle stars for World War II.service.