LST-274 was laid down on 11 March 1943 at Ambridge, Pa., by the American Bridge Co.; launched on 15 August 1943; sponsored by Mrs. R. F. Salmon; and commissioned on 28 September 1943, Lt. Russell E. Sard, Jr., USNR, in command.
During World War II, LST-274 was assigned to the Asiatic-Pacific theater and participated in the occupation of Kwajalein and Majuro Atolls in January and February 1944 and the capture and occupation of Saipan in June and July 1944. She was decommissioned on 6 May 1946 and struck from the Navy list on 23 June 1947. On 29 June 1948, she was sold to the Alexander Shipyard, Inc., of New Orleans, La., and converted for merchant service.
LST-274 earned two battle stars for World War II.service.