LST-272 was laid down on 9 February 1943 at Ambridge, Pa., by the American Bridge Co.; launched on 1 August 1943; sponsored by Mrs. J. P. D. Gerrese; and commissioned on 17 Seutember 1943, Lt. Heinrich Heine, USNR, in command.
During World War II, LST-272 was assigned to the Asiatic-Pacific theater and participated in the following operations:
Occupation of Kwajalein and Majuro Atolls—January and February 1944
Occupation of Eniwetok Atoll—February and March 1944
Capture and occupation of Saipan—June and July 1944
Tinian capture and occupation—July 1944
Capture and occupation of southern Palau Islands—September and October 1944
Lingayen Gulf landing—January 1945
She returned to the United States and was decommissioned on 16 August 1946 and struck from the Navy list on 25 September 1946. On 5 April 1948, she was sold to the Bethlehem Steel Co., of Bethlehem, Pa., for scrapping.
LST-272 earned five battle stars for World War II service.