LST-271 was laid down on 21 January 1943 at Ambridge, Pa., by the American Bridge Co.; launched on 25 July 1943; sponsored by Mrs. J. F. DeGraaf; and commissioned on 1 September 1943.
During World War II, LST-271 was assigned to the Asiatic-Pacific theater and participated in the following operations:
Occupation of Kwajalein and Majuro AtollsóJanuary and February 1944
Capture and occupation of SaipanóJune and July 1944
Tinian capture and occupationóJuly 1944
Capture and occupation of southern Palau IslandsóSeptember and October 1944
Lingayen Gulf landingóJanuary 1945
LST-271 returned to the United States and was decommissioned on 22 April 1946 and struck from the Navy list on 5 June 1946. On 15 April 1948, she was sold to the Basalt Rock Co., Inc., of Napa, Calif., for scrapping.
LST-271 earned five battle stars for World War II.service.