LST-268 was laid down on 26 November 1942 at Ambridge, Pa., by the American Bridge Co.; launched on 18 June 1943; sponsored by Mrs. W. Ward Powell; and commissioned on 19 August 1943.
During World War II, LST-268 was assigned to the Asiatic-Pacific theater and participated in the following operations:
Occupation of Kwajalein and Majuro Atolls—February 1944
Tinian capture and occupation—July 1944
Capture and occupation of southern Palau Islands—September and October 1944
Lingayen Gulf landing—January 1945
Assault and occupation of Okinawa Gunto—March through June 1945
Following the war, LST-268 was redesignated LSTH-268 on 15 September 1945, and she performed occupation duty in the Far East until early February 1946. She returned to the United States and was decommissioned on 16 February 1946 and struck from the Navy list on 31 October 1947. On 24 March 1948, she was sold to the Consolidated Shipbuilding Corp., of Morris Heights, N.Y., for scrapping.
LSTH-268 earned five battle stars for World War II service as LST-268.