Return to DANFS IndexImage of an anchorReturn to Naval Historical Center homepage
flag banner
Dictionary of American Naval Fighting Ships banner
DEPARTMENT OF THE NAVY -- NAVAL HISTORICAL CENTER
805 KIDDER BREESE SE -- WASHINGTON NAVY YARD
WASHINGTON DC 20374-5060

LST-265

 

LST-265 was laid down on 31 October 1942 at Ambridge, Pa., by the American Bridge Co.; launched on 24 April 1943; sponsored by Miss Irene Louise Martin; and commissioned on 27 July 1943, Lt. George F. Sparks, USNR, in command.

 

During World War II, LST-265 was assigned to the European theater and participated in the following operations:

 

Convoy UGS-36—April 1944

Elba and Pianosa landings—June 1944

Invasion of southern France—August and September 1944

 

LST-265 was decommissioned on 11 December 1945 and struck from the Navy list on 3 January 1946. On 20 February 1948, she was sold to Excello Corp., of New Haven, Conn., for conversion to merchant service. LST-265 earned three battle stars for World War II service.