Return to DANFS IndexImage of an anchorReturn to Naval Historical Center homepage
flag banner
Dictionary of American Naval Fighting Ships banner
DEPARTMENT OF THE NAVY -- NAVAL HISTORICAL CENTER
805 KIDDER BREESE SE -- WASHINGTON NAVY YARD
WASHINGTON DC 20374-5060

LST-264

 

LST-264 was laid down on 21 September 1942 at Ambridge, Pa., by the American Bridge Co.; launched on 13 March 1943; sponsored by Mrs. James Dunn; and commissioned on 16 July 1943, Lt. R. W. Dale, Jr., USNR, in command.

 

During World War II, LST-264 was assigned to the European theater and participated in the invasion of Normandy in June 1944. She was decommissioned on 11 January 1946 and struck from the Navy list on 19 June 1946. On 23 April 1948, she was sold to the Newport News Shipbuilding & Drydock Co., of Newport News, Va., for conversion to non-self-propelled mercantile operation.

 

LST-264 earned one battle star for World War II service.