LST-263 was laid down on 7 September 1942 at Ambridge, Pa., by the American Bridge Co.; launched on 27 February 1943; sponsored by Mrs. Charles G. Baumgartner; and commissioned on 30 June 1943.
During World War II, LST-263 was assigned to the European theater and participated in Convoy UGS-27 in April 1944 and the invasion of southern France in August and September 1944. She was decommissioned on 29 May 1946 and assigned to the Atlantic Reserve Fleet. On 1 July 1955, the ship was redesignated Benton County (LST-263) after nine counties of the United States. She was struck from the Navy list on 1 November 1958.
LST-263 earned two battle stars for World War II service.