LST-262 was laid down on 7 September 1942 at Ambridge, Pa., by the American Bridge Co.; launched on 13 February 1943; sponsored by Mrs. Oscar Seidel; and commissioned on 15 June 1943.
During World War II, LST-262 was assigned to the European theater and participated in the movement of Convoy UGS-36 in April 1944 and the invasion of Normandy in June 1944. She was decommissioned on 14 January 1946 and struck from the Navy list on 19 June 1946. On 9 December 1947, she was sold to N. Block & Co., of Norfolk, Va., for scrapping.
LST-262 earned two battle stars for World War II service.