LST-261 was laid down on 7 September 1942 at Ambridge, Pa., by the American Bridge Co.; launched on 23 January 1943; sponsored by Mrs. Harry F. Snyder; and commissioned on 22 May 1943.
During World War II, LST-261 was assigned to the European theater and participated in the invasion of Normandy in June 1944. She was decommissioned on 22 February 1946 and struck from the Navy list on 28 March 1946. On 10 November 1947, she was sold to the Biloxi Boat Wrecking Co., of Biloxi, Miss., for scrapping.
LST-261 earned one battle star for World War II.service.