LST-247 was laid down on 17 May 1943 at Evansville, Ind., by the Missouri Valley Bridge & Iron Co.; launched on 30 July 1943; sponsored by Mrs. Wesley W. Allen; and commissioned on 26 August 1943, Lt. E. V. Converse, USNR, in command.
During World War II, LST-247 was assigned to the Asiatic-Pacific theater and participated in the capture and occupation of Guam in July 1944. Following the war, LST-247 was redesignated LSTH-247 on 15 September 1945 and was decommissioned on 27 June 1946. She was struck from the Navy list on 15 August 1946. On 14 October 1947, the tank landing ship was sold to William E. Skinner for scrapping.
LSTH-247 earned one battle star for World War II service as LST-247.