LST-245 was laid down on 7 May 1943 at Evansville, Ind., by the Missouri Valley Bridge & Iron Co.; launched on 17 July 1943; sponsored by Mrs. Conrad L. Walker; and commissioned on 22 August 1943, Lt. Matthew J. McCabe, USNR, in command.
During World War II, LST-245 was assigned to the Asiatic-Pacific theater and participated in the following operations:
Saidor occupation—January and February 1944 Bismarck Archipelago operation:
(a) Cape Gloucester, New Britain—February 1944
(b) Admiralty Islands landings—March 1944
Hollandia operation—April and May 1944
Western New Guinea operations:
(a) Toem-Wakde-Sarmi area operation—May 1944
(b) Biak Island operation—June 1944
(c) Noemfoor Island operation—July 1944
(d) Cape Sansapor operation—July and August 1944
(e) Morotai landings—September 1944
Leyte landings—October and November 1944
Lingayen Gulf landing—January 1945
Mindanao Island landings—April 1945
Balikpapan operation—June and July 1945
LST-245 was decommissioned on 1 April 1946 and struck from the Navy list on 8 May 1946. On 15 April 1948, she was transferred to the Maritime Administration for disposal.
LST-245 earned eight battle stars for World War II service.