LST-244 was laid down on 1 May 1943 at Evansville, Ind., by the Missouri Valley Bridge & Iron Co.; launched on 14 July 1943; sponsored by Mrs. H. C. Price; and commissioned on 13 August 1943.
During World War II, LST-244 was assigned to the Asiatic-Pacific theater and participated in the following operations:
Gilbert Islands operation—November and December 1943
Occupation of Kwajalein and Majuro Atolls—February 1944
Capture and occupation of Guam—July and August 1944
Assault and occupation of Okinawa Gunto—April 1945
LST-244 was decommissioned on 28 March 1946 and struck from the Navy list on 3 July 1946. On 11 June 1948, she was sold to the Sun Shipbuilding & Drydock Co., of Chester, Pa., for scrapping.
LST-244 earned four battle stars for World War II service.