LST-241 was laid down on 8 March 1943 at Evansville, Ind., by the Missouri Valley Bridge & Iron Co.;launched on 29 June 1943; sponsored by Mrs. Donald J. Siegel; and commissioned on 31 July 1943, Lt. James A. Shaw, USNR, in command.
During World War II, LST-241 was assigned to the Asiatic-Pacific theater and participated in the following operations:
Gilbert Islands operations—November and December 1943
Occupation of Kwajalein and Majuro Atolls—February 1944
Hollandia operation—April 1944
Capture and occupation of Guam—July 1944
Assault and occupation of Iwo Jima—February 1945
Assault and occupation of Okinawa Gunto—April 1945
Following the war, she performed occupation duty in the Far East until mid-October 1945. She returned to the United States and was decommissioned on 7 March 1946 and struck from the Navy list on 5 June 1946. On 29 September 1947, she was sold to the Southern Shipwrecking Co., of New Orleans, La., for scrapping.
LST-241 earned six battle stars for World War II service.