LST-240 was laid down on 7 March 1943 at Evansville, Ind., by the Missouri Valley Bridge & Iron Co.; launched on 25 June 1943; sponsored by Mrs. S. D. Bechtel; and commissioned on 27 July 1943, Lt. John K. Alges in command.
During World War II, LST-240 was assigned to the Asiatic-Pacific theater and participated in the following operations:
Marshall Islands operations:
(a).Occupation of Kwajalein and Majuro AtollsóJanuary and February 1944
(b) Occupation of Eniwetok AtollóFebruary and March 1944
Capture and occupation of SaipanóJune and July 1944
LST-240 was decommissioned on 3 May 1946 and struck from the Navy list on 23 June 1947. On 1 June 1948, she was sold to the Sun Shipbuilding & Drydock Co., of Chester, Pa., for scrapping.
LST-240 earned two battle stars for World War II service.