Return to DANFS IndexImage of an anchorReturn to Naval Historical Center homepage
flag banner
Dictionary of American Naval Fighting Ships banner
DEPARTMENT OF THE NAVY -- NAVAL HISTORICAL CENTER
805 KIDDER BREESE SE -- WASHINGTON NAVY YARD
WASHINGTON DC 20374-5060

LST-239

 

LST-239 was laid down on 6 March 1943 at Evansville, Ind., by the Missouri Valley Bridge & Iron Co.; launched on 18 June 1943; sponsored by Mrs. Arthur L. Tomme; and commissioned on 13 July 1943. The tank landing ship saw no active service with the United States Navy. On 19 July 1943, she was transferred to the United Kingdom and was returned to United States Navy custody on 5 February 1946. LST-239 was struck from the Navy list on 5 June 1946; and, on 26 April 1948, she was sold to the Newport News Shipbuilding & Drydock Co., Newport News, Va., for conversion to non-self-propelled merchant operation