LST-229 was laid down on 27 May 1943 at Seneca, III., by the Chicago Bridge & Iron Co.; launched on 5 October 1943; sponsored by Mrs. Kenneth E. Sandbach; and commissioned on 3 November 1943, Comdr. Harry R. Hayes in command.
During World War II, LST-229 was assigned to the European theater and participated in the invasion of Normandy in June 1944. Following the war, LST-229 performed occupation duty in the Far East and served in China until mid-December 1945. She returned to the United States and was decommissioned on 12 February 1946 and struck from the Navy list on 31 October 1947. On 7 April 1948, she was sold to the Consolidated Shipbuilding Corp., of Morris Heights, N.Y., for scrapping.
LST-229 earned one battle star for World War II service.
LST-229 with LCT-583 secured on deck. LCT's were frequently carried to assault areas on the decks of LST's. On arrival off the beachhead, the LST was ballasted down to one side. The LCT, over 120 feet long and with an empty displacement of more than 150 tons, slid sideways into the water for loading. (NR&L(M) 37926)