Return to DANFS IndexImage of an anchorReturn to Naval Historical Center homepage
flag banner
Dictionary of American Naval Fighting Ships banner
DEPARTMENT OF THE NAVY -- NAVAL HISTORICAL CENTER
805 KIDDER BREESE SE -- WASHINGTON NAVY YARD
WASHINGTON DC 20374-5060

LST-228

 

LST-228 was laid down on 20 May 1943 at Seneca, III., by the Chicago Bridge & Iron Co.; launched on 25 September 1943; sponsored by Mrs. Arthur B. Horton; and commissioned on 25 October 1943. The tank landing ship saw only brief active service with the United States Navy because, on 19 January 1944, she was grounded in the vicinity of Bahia Angra Island, Azores, and was declared beyond salvage and pronounced a total loss on 21 January 1944. LST-228 was struck from the Navy list on 12 February 1944.