LST-227 was laid down on 10 May 1943 at Seneca, III., by the Chicago Bridge & Iron Co.; launched on 21 September 1943; sponsored by Mrs. C. B. Hellerson; and commissioned on 16 October 1943.
During World War II, LST-227 was assigned to the Asiatic-Pacific theater and participated in the following operations:
Occupation of Kwajalein and Majuro Atolls—February 1944
Hollandia operation—April 1944
Capture and occupation of Guam-—July 1944
Capture and occupation of southern Palau Islands—September and October 1944
Lingayen Gulf landing—January 1945
Assault and occupation of Okinawa Gunto—April and May 1945
Following the war, LST-227 performed occupation duty in the Far East until mid-January 1946. She returned to the United States and was decommissioned on 22 January 1946. She served with the Shipping Control Authority, Japan, from 23 January 1946 to 6 June 1950. On 27 March 1955, she was transferred to Korea as a loan where she served as Duk Bong (LST-808) into the mid 1970's.
LST-227 earned six battle stars for World War II service.