LST-224 was laid down on 2 April 1943 at Seneca, III., by the Chicago Bridge & Iron Co.; launched on 31 August 1943; sponsored by Mrs. George P. Shoemaker; and commissioned on 23 September 1943.
During World War II, LST-224 was assigned to the Asiatic-Pacific theater and participated in the following operations:
Marshall Islands operation:
(a) Occupation of Kwajalein and Majuro Atolls—January and February 1944
(b) Occupation of Eniwetok Atoll—February 1944
Capture and occupation of Saipan—June and July 1944
Tinian capture and occupation—July 1944
Capture and occupation of the southern PalauIslands—September and October 1944
Assault and occupation of Iwo Jima—February 1945
LST-224 was decommissioned on 22 March 1946, and struck from the Navy list on 17 April 1946. She was sold to the Bethlehem Steel Co., of Bethlehem, Pa., on 9 April 1948 for scrapping.
LST-224 earned five battle stars for World War II service.