Return to DANFS IndexImage of an anchorReturn to Naval Historical Center homepage
flag banner
Dictionary of American Naval Fighting Ships banner
DEPARTMENT OF THE NAVY -- NAVAL HISTORICAL CENTER
805 KIDDER BREESE SE -- WASHINGTON NAVY YARD
WASHINGTON DC 20374-5060

LST-223

 

LST-223 was laid down on 31 March 1943 at Seneca, III., by the Chicago Bridge & Iron Co.; launched on 24 August 1943; sponsored by Mrs. George S. Trees; and commissioned on 17 September 1943, Lt. Thomas S. Moulton, USNR, in command.

 

During World War II, LST-223 was assigned to the Asiatic-Pacific theater and participated in the following operations:

 

Capture and occupation of Kwajalein and Majuro Atolls—January and February 1944

Capture and occupation of Saipan—June 1944

Leyte landings—October and November 1944

 

Following the war, LST-223 performed occupation duty in the Far East until November 1945. On 15 September 1945, the ship was redesignated LSTH-223. She was transferred to the State Department for disposal on 13 March 1947.

 

LST-223 earned three battle stars for World War II service.