LST-221 was laid down on 9 March 1943 at Seneca, III., by the Chicago Bridge & Iron Co.; launched on 7 August 1943; sponsored by Mrs. Isabelle Chamness; and commissioned on 2 September 1943, Lt. Joseph H. Church, USNR, in command.
During World War II, LST-221 was assigned to the Asiatic-Pacific theater and participated in the following operations:
Marshall Islands operations:
(a) Occupation of Kwajalein and Majuro Atolls—January and February 1944
(b) Occupation of Eniwetok Atoll—February and March 1944
Hollandia operation—April 1944
Capture and occupation of Guam—April 1944
Assault and occupation of Okinawa Gunto—April 1945
Following the war, LST-221 performed occupation duty in the Far East until late January 1946. She returned to the United States and was decommissioned on 6 May 1946 and struck from the Navy list on 3 July 1946. On 4 March 1948, she was sold to Port Houston Iron Works, Inc., of Houston, Tex., for non-self-propelled merchant service.
LST-221 earned four battle stars for World War II service.