LST-220 was laid down on 4 March 1943 at Seneca, III., by the Chicago Bridge & Iron Co.; launched on 3 August 1943; sponsored by Mrs. A. E. Ellerbee; and commissioned on 26 August 1943.
During World War II, LST-220 was assigned to the Asiatic-Pacific theater and participated in the following operations:
Green Islands landing—February 1944
Hollandia operation—April 1944
Capture and occupation of Guam-—July and August 1944
Leyte landings—October and November 1944
Following the war, LST-220 returned to the United States and was decommissioned in March 1946 and was destroyed and struck from the Navy list on 12 May 1948.
LST-220 earned four battle stars for World War II service.