LST-218 was laid down on 11 February 1943 at Seneca, III., by the Chicago Bridge and Iron Co.; launched on 20 July 1943; sponsored by Mrs. Don Leach; and was placed in reduced commission for ferrying to New Orleans on 5 August 1943. She was placed in full commission on 12 August that same year. During World War II, LST-218 was assigned to the Asiatic-Pacific theater and participated in the following operations:
Gilbert Islands operation—November and December 1943
Occupation of Kwajalein and Majuro Atolls—January and February 1944
Occupation of Eniwetok Atoll—February 1944
Capture and occupation of Saipan—June through August 1944
Capture and occupation of Tinian—July andAugust 1944
Following the war, LST-218 performed occupation duty in the Far East until mid-January 1946. She was decommissioned on 19 January 1946 and transferred to the naval Shipping Control Authority for the Japanese Merchant Marine (SCAJAP). The ship was returned to United States Navy custody on 28 January 1950. On 15 November I960, she was assigned to the Pacific Reserve Fleet at Bremerton where she was activated and transferred to the Republic of Korea Navy on 3 May 1955. She served that navy as LST-809. LST-218 earned four battle stars for World War II service.