LST-217 was laid down on 2 February 1943 at Seneca, III., by the Chicago Bridge & Iron Co.; launched on 13 July 1943; sponsored by Mrs. C. H. Johnson; and commissioned on 30 July 1943. The tank landing ship never saw active service with the United States Navy. On 5 August 1943, she was transferred to the United Kingdom and was returned to United States Navy custody on 12 February 1946. She was struck from the Navy list on 5 June 1946. On 12 December 1947, she was sold to James A. Hughes, New York, N.Y., for scrapping.