LST-212 was laid down on 7 December 1942 at Seneca, III., by the Chicago Bridge & Iron Co.; launched on 12 June 1943; sponsored by Miss Catherine Trees; and commissioned on 6 July 1943.
During World War II, LST-212 was assigned to the European theater and participated in the movement of Convony UGS-37 in April 1944 and the invasion of Normandy in June 1944. She returned to the United States and was decommissioned on 15 November 1945 and was struck from the Navy list on 28 November 1945. On 24 July 1947, she was sold to Alfredo A. Lavalle, of New York, N.Y., and converted for merchant service.
LST-212 earned two battle stars for World War II service.