LST-201 was laid down on 13 July 1942 at Seneca, III., by the Chicago Bridge & Iron Co.; launched on 2 March 1943; sponsored by Miss Loraine Johnson; and commissioned on 2 April 1943, Lt. Samuel D. LaRoue in command.
During World War II, LST-201 was assigned to the Asiatic-Pacific theater and participated in the following operations:
Eastern New Guinea operations—November 1943 through April 1944
Hollandia operation—April 1944
Western New Guinea operations—May through August 1944
She was redesignated AGP-20 and named Pontus (q.v.) after a Greek god of the sea on 15 August 1944. She participated in the Leyte landing in November 1944 and, following the war, performed occupation duty in the Far East in November 1945. Decommissioned on 2 April 1946, Pontus was struck from the Navy list on 1 May 1946. She ship was transferred to the Maritime Commission on 26 November 1947 for disposal.
Pontus received one battle star for World War II service under her name and three more for World War II service as LST-201.