Return to DANFS IndexImage of an anchorReturn to Naval Historical Center homepage
flag banner
Dictionary of American Naval Fighting Ships banner
DEPARTMENT OF THE NAVY -- NAVAL HISTORICAL CENTER
805 KIDDER BREESE SE -- WASHINGTON NAVY YARD
WASHINGTON DC 20374-5060

LST-198

 

LST-198 was laid down on 22 June 1942 at Seneca, III., by the Chicago Bridge & Iron Co.; launched on 17 January 1943; sponsored by Mrs. Martha Sherman; and commissioned on 15 February 1943.

 

On 27 February 1943, LST-198 was decommissioned and transferred to the United Kingdom on 6 March 1943. The ship was returned to United States custody on 23 January 1946 and was struck from the Navy list on 20 March 1946. On 19 March 1948, she was sold to the Ships & Power Equipment Corp., of Barber, N.J., for scrapping.