LST-197 was laid down on 15 June 1942 at Seneca, III., by the Chicago Bridge & Iron Co.; launched on 13 December 1942; sponsored by Mrs. Harriet Williamson; and commissioned on 5 February 1943, Lt. T. S. Medford, USNR, in command.
During World War II, LST-197 was assigned to the European theater and participated in the following operations:
Sicilian occupation—July 1943
Salerno landings—September 1943
West coast of Italy operations:
(a) Anzio-Nettuno advanced landings—January through March 1944
Invasion of Normandy—June 1944
Following the war, LST-197 performed occupation duty in the Far East until early November 1945. She returned to the United States and was decommissioned on 5 April 1946. She was struck from the Navy list on 5 June 1946 and sold to the Luria Steel & Trading Co., of New York, N.Y., on 31 October 1947 for scrapping.
LST-197 earned four battle stars and the Navy Unit Commendation for World War II service.