LST-181 was laid down on 7 April 1943 at Jeffersonville, Ind., by the Jeffersonville Boat & Machine Co.; launched on 3 July 1943; sponsored by Mrs. T. J. Eifler; and commissioned on 21 August 1943.
During World War II, LST-181 was assigned to the Asiatic-Pacific theater and participated in the following operations:
Bismarck Archipelago operation:
(a) Cape Gloucester, New Britain—February 1944
(b) Admiralty Islands landings—March 1944
Hollandia operation—April and May 1944
Western New Guinea operation:
(a) Toem-Wakde-Sarmi area operation—May 1944
(b) Biak Island operation—June 1944
(c) Noemfoor Island operation—July 1944
(d) Cape Sansapor operation—July and August 1944
(e) Mprotai landings—September 1944
Leyte landings—October and November 1944
Visayan Islands landings—March and April 19
(a) Balikpapan operation—June and July 1945
LST-181 was decommissioned on 4 March 1946 and struck from the Navy list on 12 April 1946. On 9 December 1946, she was sold to the Construction Power Machinery Co., of Brooklyn, N.Y.
LST-181 earned seven battle stars for World War II service.