LST-178 was laid down on 6 February 1943 at Evansville, Ind., by the Missouri Valley Bridge & Iron Co.; launched on 23 May 1943; sponsored by Mrs. Charles Haglin; and commissioned on 21 June 1943.
During World War II, LST-178 was assigned to the European theater and participated in the movement of Convoy UGS-36 in April 1944 and the invasion of southern France in August and September 1944. LST-178 was decommissioned and transferred to the United Kingdom on 24 December 1944 and was returned to United States Navy custody on 12 December 1946. In November 1946, she was sold to the Egyptian Navy and was struck from the Navy list on 22 January 1947.
LST-178 earned two battle stars for World War II service.