LST-176 was laid down on 18 January 1943 at Evansville, Ind., by the Missouri Valley Bridge & Iron Co.; launched on 15 April 1943; sponsored by Mrs. L. J. Prues; and commissioned on 12 May 1943, Lt. J. S. Salt, USCGR, in command.
During World War II, LST-176 was assigned to the European theater and participated in the invasion of Normandy in June 1944. Following the war, LST-176 performed occupation duty in the Far East until early January 1946. She was decommissioned on 6 January 1946 and transferred to the Shipping Control Authority, Japan, and operated with a Japanese civilian crew. On 31 March 1952, she was redelivered to the United States Navy and served with the Military Sea Transportation Service as USNS T-LST-176 until she was stricken from the Navy list on 1 November 1973.
LST-176 earned one battle star for World War II service.