LST-174 was laid down on 1 January 1943 at Evansville, Ind., by the Missouri Valley Bridge & Iron Co.; launched on 21 April 1943; sponsored by Mrs. Elizabeth F. Maynard; and commissioned on 15 June 1943.
During World War II, LST-174 was assigned to the European theater and participated in the movement of Convoy UGS-36 in April 1944 and the invasion of southern France in August 1944. She was decommissioned on 21 December 1945 and struck from the Navy list on 21 January 1946. On 30 January 1947, LST-174 was sold to Ming-Sung Industrial Co., Ltd., of Shanghai, China, and converted for merchant service.
LST-174 earned two battle stars for World War II service.