LST-173 was laid down on 24 December 1942 at Evansville, Ind., by the Missouri Valley Bridge & Iron Co.; launched on 24 April 1943; sponsored by Mrs. John McCone; and commissioned on 18 June 1943.
During World War II, LST-173 served in the European theater and participated in the movement of Convoy UGS-36 in April 1944 and the invasion of southern France in August and September 1944. She was decommissioned and transferred to the United Kingdom on 24 December 1944 and was returned to United States Navy custody on 23 April 1946. On 19 June 1946, LST-173 was struck from the Navy list. The ship was sold to Luria Brothers & Co., of Philadelphia, Pa., on 22 October 1947, for scrapping.
LST-173 earned two battle stars for World War II service.