LST-171 was laid down on 20 October 1942 at Evans-ville, Ind., by the Missouri Valley Bridge & Iron Co.; launched on 28 February 1943; sponsored by Miss Martha J. Miller; and commissioned on 5 June 1943, Lt. Comdr. H. A. West in command.
During World War II, LST-171 served in the Asiatic-Pacific theater and took part in the following operations :
Bismarck Archipelago operation:
(a) Cape Gloucester, New Britain—December 1943, January and February 1944
(b) Admiralty Islands landings—February and March 1944
Eastern New Guinea operation:
(a) Saidor occupation—January and February 1944
Western New Guinea operations:
(a) Biak Island operation—May and June 1944
(b).Cape Sansapor operation—July and August 1944
(c) Morotai landings—September 1944
Leyte landings—October and November 1944
Visayan Islands landings—March and April 1945
(a) Tarakan Island operation—April and May 1945
(b) Balikpapan operation—June and July 1945
Following the war, LST-171 performed occupation duty in the Far East until late October 1945. She returned to the United States and was decommissioned on 21 May 1946. She was struck from the Navy list on 3 July 1946 and was sold to Boston Metals Co., of Baltimore, Md., on 26 September 1947 for scrapping.
LST-171 earned seven battle stars for World War II service.