LST-170 was laid down on 9 October 1942 at Evans-ville, Ind., by the Missouri Valley Bridge & Iron Co.; launched on 27 February 1943; sponsored by Mrs. A. F. Sweet; and commissioned on 31 May 1943, Lt. T. N. Kelly, USCGR, in command.
During World War II, LST-170 was assigned to the Asiatic-Pacific theater and participated in the following operations:
Bismarck Archipelago operation:
(a).Cape Gloucester, New Britain—December 1943
(b) Admiralty Islands landings—March 1944
Eastern New Guinea operation:
(a) Saidor occupation—January and February 1944
Hollandia operation—April and May 1944
Western New Guinea operations:
(a) Toem-Wakde-Sarmi area operation—May 1944
(b) Biak Island operation—May and June 1944
(c) Cape Sansapor operation—July and August 1944
(d) Morotai landing—September 1944
Leyte landings—October and November 1944
(a) Mindoro landings—December 1944
(b) Lingayen Gulf landing—January 1945
Consolidation of the southern Philippines:
(a) Mindanao Island landings—April 1945
Following the war, LST-170 was decommissioned on 6 April 1946 and struck from the Navy list on 3 July 1946. On 5 November 1947, she was sold to the Biloxi Boatwrecking Co., of Biloxi, Miss., for scrapping.
LST-170 earned seven battle stars for World War II service.