LST-166 was laid down on 7 September 1942 at Evansville, Ind., by the Missouri Valley Bridge & Iron Co.; launched on 1 February 1943; sponsored by Mrs. Vivian Massey; and commissioned on 22 April 1943, Lt. F. B. Bradley, USCG, in command.
During World War II, LST-166 was assigned to the Asiatic-Pacific theater and participated in the following operations:
(a) Occupation and defense of Cape Torokina—December 1943
(a) Capture and occupation of Saipan—June 1944
Okinawa Gunto operation:
(a) Assault and occupation of Okinawa Gunto —April 1945
Following the war, LST-166 performed occupation duty in the Far East until the fall of 1945. She returned to the United States and was decommissioned on 3 May 1946. She was struck from the Navy list on 19 June 1946 and was sold to Dulien Steel Products, Inc., of Seattle, Wash., on 3 November 1947 for scrapping.
LST-166 earned three battle stars and the Navy Unit Commendation for World War II service.