LST-164 was laid down on 13 August 1942 at Evansville, Ind., by the Missouri Valley Bridge & Iron Co.; launched on 5 February 1943; sponsored by Mrs. Lloyd E. Miller; and commissioned on 30 March 1943. The tank landing ship never saw service with the United States Navy. The ship was decommissioned on 5 April 1943 and was transferred to the United Kingdom. She was returned to United States Navy custody on 29 November 1946 and struck from the Navy list on 1 August 1947. On 7 October 1947, she was sold to Tung Hwa Trading Co., of Singapore, and converted to merchant service.