LST-163 was laid down on 10 August 1942 at Evansville, Ind., by the Missouri Valley Bridge & Iron Co.; launched on 4 February 1943; sponsored by Mrs. Monty H. Freeland; and commissioned on 24 March 1943. The tank landing ship never saw active service with the United States Navy. She was decommissioned on 29 March 1943 and transferred to the United Kingdom. The ship was returned to United States Navy custody on 29 November 1946 and was sold to Tung Hwa Trading Co., of Singapore, on 29 July 1947 and converted to merchant service. LST-163 was struck from the Navy list on 1 August 1947.