LST-161 was laid down on 24 July 1942 at Evansville, Ind., by the Missouri Valley Bridge & Iron Co.; launched on 7 December 1942; sponsored by Mrs. Ashley Fancy; and commissioned on 28 February 1943. The tank landing ship never saw active service with the United States Navy. She was decommissioned on 14 March 1943 and transferred to the United Kingdom on 15 March 1943. The ship was returned to United States Navy custody on 5 January 1946 and struck from the Navy list on 20 March 1946. On 7 May 1948, she was sold to the Northern Metals Co., of Philadelphia, Pa., for scrapping.