LST-159 was laid down on 19 July 1942 at Evansville, Ind., by the Missouri Valley Bridge & Iron Co.; launched on 21 November 1942; sponsored by Mrs. Adrian G. Wrucke; and commissioned on 13 February 1943. The tank landing ship never saw active service with the United States Navy. She was transferred to the United Kingdom on 3 March 1943 and returned to United States Navy custody on 23 April 1946. She was struck from the Navy list on 19 June 1946. On 27 April 1948, LST-159 was sold to the Newport News Shipbuilding & Drydock Co., of Newport News, Va., for conversion to merchant service.