LST-158 was laid down on 11 July 1942 at Evans-ville, Ind., by the Missouri Valley Bridge & Iron Co.; launched on 16 November 1942; sponsored by Mrs. H. S. Tullock; and commissioned on 10 February 1943. During World War II, LST-158 served in the European theater and participated in the following operations :
Sicilian occupation—July 1943
North African occupation:
(a) Tunisian operations—May, June and July 1943
She was sunk off Licata, Sicily, on 11 July 1943 as a result of enemy aircraft action and was struck from the Navy list on 28 July 1943.
LST-158 earned two battle stars for World War II service.