LST-138 was laid down on 27 October 1943 at Ambridge, Pa., by the American Bridge Co.; launched on 30 December 1943; and commissioned on 5 February 1944, Lt. John B. Wilson, USNR, in command.
During World War II, LST-138 was assigned to the European theater and took part in the Normandy invasion between 6 and 25 June 1944.
Upon her return to the United States, the ship was decommissioned on 20 November 1945 and struck from the Navy list on 5 December 1945. On 16 June 1947, she was sold to Three Star Line, Inc., of Lake Charles, La., for conversion to merchant service.
LST-138 earned one battle star for World War II service.