Return to DANFS IndexImage of an anchorReturn to Naval Historical Center homepage
flag banner
Dictionary of American Naval Fighting Ships banner
DEPARTMENT OF THE NAVY -- NAVAL HISTORICAL CENTER
805 KIDDER BREESE SE -- WASHINGTON NAVY YARD
WASHINGTON DC 20374-5060

LST-122

 

LST-122 was laid down on 4 June 1943 at Evansville, Ind., by the Missouri Valley Bridge & Iron Co.; launched on 9 August 1943; and commissioned on 3 September 1943, Lt. Samuel C. Pirie in command.

 

During World War II, LST-122 was assigned to the Asiatic-Pacific theater and participated in the following operations:

 

Marshall Islands operation:

(a) Occupation of Kwajalein and Majuro Atolls—January and February 1944

Hollandia operation—April 1944

Marianas operation:

(a) Capture and occupation of Guam—July 1944

Okinawa Gunto operation:

(a) Assault and occupation of Okinawa Gunto—May 1945

 

Following the war, LST-122 performed occupation duty in the Far East and service in China until early May 1946.

 

Upon her return to the United States, the ship was decommissioned on 4 June 1946 and struck from the Navy list on 3 July 1946. On 5 December 1947, she was sold to Bosey, Philippines.

 

LST-122 earned four battle stars for World War II service.