LST-81 was laid down on 8 March 1943 at Jeffersonville, Ind., by the Jeffersonville Boat & Machine Co.; launched on 28 May 1943; sponsored by Miss Bettie Meador; and commissioned on 21 July 1943. She was decommissioned on 19 July 1943 and redesignated ARL-5 on 20 July 1943. On 29 July 1943, she was transferred to the United Kingdom and served the Royal Navy as LSE-1 until 21 May 1946 when she was returned to the United States. She was struck from the Navy list on 29 October 1946. On 20 August 1947, LST-81 was sold to Argentina and served that government as Ingeniero Iribas (Q-21). She was sold by the Argentine Navy in 1967.