Return to DANFS IndexImage of an anchorReturn to Naval Historical Center homepage
flag banner
Dictionary of American Naval Fighting Ships banner
DEPARTMENT OF THE NAVY -- NAVAL HISTORICAL CENTER
805 KIDDER BREESE SE -- WASHINGTON NAVY YARD
WASHINGTON DC 20374-5060

LST-78

 

LST-78 was laid down on 9 February 1943 at Jeffersonville, Ind., by the Jeffersonville Boat & Machine Co.; launched on 28 April 1943; sponsored by Mrs. Austin E. Overman; and commissioned on 8 July 1943.

 

During World War II, LST-78 was assigned to the Asiatic-Pacific theater and participated in the following operations:

 

Gilbert Islands operation—November and December 1943

Marshall Islands operation:

(a) Occupation of Kwajalein  and  Majuro Atolls—January and February 1944

Marianas operation:

(a) Capture and occupation of Guam—July 1944

 

Occupation of Okinawa—May and June 1945 LST-78 was decommissioned on 8 March 1946 and struck from the Navy list on 8 May 1946. On 13 April 1948, she was sold to the Kaiser Co., Inc., of Seattle, Wash., for scrapping.

 

LST-78 earned four battle stars for World War II service.