LST-76 was laid down on 19 January 1943 at Jeffersonville, Ind., by the Jeffersonville Boat & Machine Co.; launched on 14 April 1943; sponsored by Mrs. Pauline Bower; and commissioned on 26 June 1943.
During World War II, LST-76 was assigned to the European theater and participated in the following operations:
Convoy UGS-37—April 1944
Invasion of southern France—August and September 1944
LST-76 was decommissioned on 24 December 1944 and transferred to the United Kingdom. She was returned to the United States Navy on 23 April 1946, and her name was struck from the Navy list on 19 June 1946. On 21 April 1948, she was sold to the Southern Trading Co., of Philadelphia, Pa., and subsequently converted for merchant service. However, she foundered off Cape Hatteras on 5 October 1951. LST-76 earned two battle stars for World War II