LST-72 was laid down on 20 December 1942 at Jeffersonville, Ind., by the Jeffersonville Boat & Machine Co.; launched on 17 March 1943; sponsored by Mrs. Audra Ehrhardt; and commissioned on 5 June 1943.
During World War II, LST-72 was assigned to the European theater and participated in the Normandy invasion from 6 to 25 June 1944. Immediately following the war, she was assigned to occupation duty in the Far East from October 1945 to May 1946. She was decommissioned on 4 June 1946 and was struck from the Navy list on 19 June 1946. On 8 June 1948, she was transferred to the Philippine government.
LST-72 earned one battle star for World War II service.